Hiking in the mountains of Córdoba
(October, Friday 12th – 07:00 am to 18:00 pm)
The Massif of the Giants
Los “Gigantes” is the name of the mountainous system located in the center-west region of the province of Córdoba, in the Argentine Republic (80 kilometers from the city of Córdoba, a two-hours trip ). It has an altitudinal development from highest to lowest, in a north – south direction. It is part of the big mountains of Córdoba.
We invite the ISRP-14 participants to do there an unique walking adventure, with granite walls, gorges, caverns, rivers and condors watching.
The weather is hot in the day and cool at night.
All routes and itinerary are subject to weather conditions or other non-normal situations.
- 7:00 am: Departure from the City of Córdoba·
- 9:00 am to 9:15 am: Arrival at La Rotonda refuge and registration for admission to the provincial reserve.·
- 9:15 am to 10:00 am: Breakfast and explanation of hiking·
- 10:15 am: We start the trek, we walk the normal route of ascent to visit the circuit of caves: el Pollito, de la Salamanca, Hornito and de los Pájaros·
- 11:30 am: Arrival in the valley of the caves and streams·
- 1:30 pm: Frugal lunch at El Hornito cave·
- 2:30 pm: Start of the ascent of Cerro de la Cruz (2000 meters above sea level). There is a beautiful view of the Valley and we can take some beautiful photos. It is always posible to see condors in that place·
- 4:00 pm: Return to La Rotonda refuge·
- 5:00 pm: Exquisite empanadas criollas with beers, soda´s or juice·
- 6:00 pm: Return to Córdoba.
We propose a light, guided program with a medium level of demand. Each one carries a backpack with personal equipment (the minimum necessary).
The program has an accessible cost that will be defined based on the number of registrations. To register your interest in the hiking, please write to Dr. Marcelo Rubio (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Trekking to the Cordón del Plata Provincial Park – Mendoza, Argentina.
The Cordón del Plata natural park is located in the Province of Mendoza, Argentina. It is constituted by high summits (from 3000 to 6000 m above sea level). It is the part of the Cordillera de los Andes that we can see from the city of Mendoza.
At 80 kilometers from the city of Mendoza and at 2800 meters, in the foothills of the mountains, the Vallecitos ski center is located.
The most important summits of the park are: Vallecitos, Stepanek, Caucasus, Iluso, Student, Lomas Blancas, Arenales, Lomas Amarillas, Rincón, Adolfo Calle, Plata (5968 m) and Pico de Plata (5845 m).
Insurance and liability
The ISRP-14 Organizer and Sponsor Institutions does not organize the Trekking program, it only establishes a bridge of communication with the mountain guides who have total responsibility for the organization of the trekking. This activity has a cost that is not set by the ISRP-14 Organizer. The cost is defined by the mountain guides and will be informed in a timely manner to each interested participant. Participants are advised to make their own arrangements regarding travel insurance and medical assistance during the Trekking activities and transfers to Mendoza.
The ISRP-14 Organizer and the Organizing and Sponsors Institution are not able to take any responsibility, whatsoever, for injury or damage to persons or property during the Trekking program.
Itinerary: 4 Days
Physical difficulty: Moderate. It is not necessary previous experience
Technical difficulty: Mountain trekking. Without technical difficulty.
Appropriate months: Best conditions from October to March. Can be realized all year.
Cordón del Plata Provincial Park
Day 1: The adventure begins.
Height difference: 2000 m
- Reception in Mendoza.
- Presentation of the guide.
- Talk about mountain.
- Delivery of bibliography.
- Explanation of the trekking itinerary.
- Transfer to Refugio in Vallecitos (2800 m).
- Lunch in Refuge.
- 2 hours trekking for acclimatization.
- Dinner in Refuge.
Day 2: The camp of Mount Plata
Estimated duration: 5 hours.
Height difference: 800
- Hiking from refuge (2800 m) to Las Veguitas Camp (3200 m).
- Snacks and rest in Las Veguitas River.
- Trekking to Piedra Grande Camp I (3600 m).
- Lunch and rest.
- Descent to the refuge
- Dinner and night
Las Veguitas Camp
Piedra Grande Camp I
Day 3: La Cadenita del Plata.
Estimated duration: 8 hours.
Height difference: 1000
- La Cadenita del Plata is a group of summits interlaced by the same edge of mountains, formed by the mountains Loma Blanca (3650 m), Student (3700 m), Cuacaso (3850 m) and Iluso (3990 m).
- Photo sessions in the four summits
- Lunch and snack on the way
- Return to Refuge.
- BBQ, music and night
La Cadenita del Plata
Day 4: Last day
Estimated duration: 6 hours.
Height difference: 600
- Trekking to the summits of mountains Andresito (3000 m) and Arenales (3400 m).
- Photo sessions in the two summits.
- Lunch and snack on way. Return to Refuge.
- Transfer to Mendoza
- End of service